Episode – 04-22-16
In this episode, Dan tackles a variety of questions from the 48 Days community, while keeping the conversation focused on a quote from David Foster: “I was good, but not great.” Listen in to learn why you don’t have to be great to succeed – and to learn all about online business in an interview with Jim Cockrum, Amazon sales guru and bestselling author of Silent Sales Machine.
https://freshbooks.com/48days Easy invoicing and accounting system. Try free for 30 days!
Harrys.com – use 48Days as the code to get $5.00 off your purchase of Dan’s favorite razor
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:10 – Preview of today’s topics and questions
- I have $2600 – how can I double my money?
- My daughter creates custom made blankets for babies/kids and pets. How can she increase her income?
- What books do you reread every single year?
- How can I get out of a family-owned business?
- 02:17 – Today’s Quote
- “I was good but not great” – David Foster
- 4:20 – Today’s Resources at 48days.net
- Dr Jason Cabler – 9 Ways to Build your $1000 Emergency Fund Quickly – 48 days.net
- Chris Colville – He’s renting the local community club house to run a 48 Days seminar
- 15 – Question from Troy: You often talk about finding a way to use your passion to make profits – not directly through the passion, but in related field. How can I turn my passion for fitness into a living?
- David Foster: “I was good, but not great” – if he’d been a better musician, he would have been in an orchestra.
- By finding an alternative way to use his passion, he became incredibly successful
- Massage therapists boomed along with the back problems caused by computer programmers
- Samuel Brandon became the first millionaire of the California Goldrush – by selling supplies to miners
- You don’t have to be great to succeed – sometimes when you are less ‘successful’ you find a different path that works for you.
- 11:15 – Question from Dean: My daughter creates custom made blankets for babies/kids and pets. How can she increase her income?
- When you’re doing something like that, it’s time- and labour- intensive
- It’s not ‘scaleable’ in the traditional sense
- One woman has been successful selling patterns for doll clothing – moving from a physical product to a digital product
- How can you make something once and sell it a thousand times?
- 16:48 – Interview with Jim Cockrum, author of Silent Sales Machine
- Jim writes the same book every year – he updates the version
- People who have bought one copy receive the updated version for free
- “I’ve turned my readers into my marketing staff”
- Amazon success stories
- Jim’s course on successful selling on Amazon
- People become incredibly successful selling physical items online
- 29:10 – Question from Greg: What books do you reread every single year?
- 19:14 – Question from anonymous: I have $2600 – how can I double my money?
- Doubling your pay in an hourly-pay job is unlikely to happen
- What could you do to make $2600?
- Spend money on silver at garage and estate sales, clean it and sell it online?
- Buy a fixer-upper home and do it up?
- Become the graffiti removal expert in your town?
- Take what you’re skilled at, put a little money behind it, and look for opportunities
- 39:50 – Question from Amy: How do I stay motivated now that I’ve got started as an entrepreneur?
- Set goals. Identify what you want to accomplish this year and track yourself.
- Be personally disciplined and create structure for yourself
- Get in a Mastermind group
- 41:50 – Question from Landon: How can I get out of a family-owned business and start my own company?
- What are your unique skills?
- A family business can be really tough to work in – if you think it’s time to move on then get out
- Don’t just walk away – make it a reasonable business exit and get your fair share
- Understand yourself. What do you do really well? What do you enjoy?
- 44:30 – Question from Barbara: You’ve mentioned an organisation that makes loans in developing countries. What’s the organisation
- It’s called KIVA
- Upcoming conferences and appearances
- Coaching With Excellence – Sanctuary, Franklin, TN May 12-13th
- Innovate – Sanctuary, Franklin, TN May 26-27th
- New Media Europe, London – London, England June 18-19th
- Podcast Movement – Chicago, IL July 6-8th
- The Ultimate Advantage Cruise – leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Feb 12-19th 2017
3 Key Points:
- You don’t need to be the best to succeed. Often taking a more unconventional path leads to work where you excel.
- Look inward. Focus on what you’re skilled at, and what you enjoy doing. Put a little money behind it, look for opportunities – and you’ll have started your entrepreneurial journey.
- Think about scaling – how can you make something once and sell it a thousand times? How can you turn your current products into opportunities for growth?
- Casper – Use code SleepYouLove to get $50 toward any purchase – and free shipping
- Dan’s Coaching Experience – The premiere coaching service offered by Dan
- Raising Entrepreneurial Kids – The latest from Dan on how he raised kids with a passion for entrepreneurship
- com/Mondays – Dan’s 5-step process for dealing with change
- https://www.48days.com/video – If you’re just getting started on the 48 Days process
- The Ultimate Advantage Cruise– February 2017
- 48 Days Coaching Mastery Program– for those wanting to build a high level business in coaching
- Personal Mission Statement– free form to create your own
- com/acres – become one of our 48Days Seminar Coordinators
- Casper Mattresses – Use the code SleepYouLove to get $50 off any purchase and free shipping
- Innovate – Sanctuary, Franklin, TN May 26-27th
- Coaching with Excellence– Sanctuary, Franklin, TN May 12-13th
- Launch Conference– Orlando, FL April 3-7th
- Social Media Marketing World– San Diego, CA April 17-19th
- New Media Europe– London, England June 18-19th
- Podcast Movement– Chicago, IL July 6-8th
- The Ultimate Advantage Cruise– leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, FL Feb 12-19th, 2017
- com– use 48Days as the code to get $5.00 off your purchase of Dan’s favorite razor
- Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
Share this Post