What you see there is also seen by thousands of other qualified candidates. By the time it hits there, you’ve lost your best window of opportunity. Finding the 87% — the never advertised positions, requires more creativity than that.
Here are some interesting tips:
- Check the company parking lot at 8 AM and then at 6 PM. If most of the cars are still there it’s likely the staff is overworked and the company needs to add people.
- Look for Lease signs that are taken down. Ask real estate agents who is leasing or buying commercial property.
- Read the business sections of your paper for mergers, acquisitions and relocations.
- Watch for notices of venture capital transfers.
- Watch for notices of promotions, new department heads, etc. When fresh thinking is brought in changes in hiring are usually in store.
- Create your position. Don’t just sit around waiting for your “dream job” to open. Study the industry or field that you’re looking to move into, and identify companies where there would be a potential match.
- And just proactively contact the 30-40 companies you would like to work with.